Monday, November 07, 2005

The Sharks Were Circling Beneath…….

…what a marvellous weekend. My mates wedding…..it was fantastic

People there I hadn’t seen for years, and whose names I could not remember …..everyone looking terribly grown up….the bride and groom entered the room together to the Jaws theme tune, there were sharks circling in the water, the BBC was there…..the local press was there……………screech……rewind…..

Sharks? BBC? Jaws theme tune? Local Press?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

So my friends got married on a bridge over a shark tank in Brighton’s Sea Life Centre. It was very very cool. The BBC was there as they are making a documentary on alternative weddings…or something like that. The local press were there…..well I guess because it’s not everyday a couple get married in Brighton over the shark tank….in fact they were the first one’s to do it.

They had asked me to do a reading at their wedding as I had introduced them to each other….yeah! I thought. I’m fine with public speaking I was both honoured and thrilled to be asked. What they forgot to mention was that it was to be part of the wedding ceremony, not at the reception along with all the other speeches.

And so it was that I found myself on Saturday afternoon standing on a bridge, the sharks circling beneath me, trying not to cry (having blubbed my way through the preceding part of the ceremony) reading I’ll Be There by Louise Cuddon. It was wonderful.

The wedding reception was quite conventional, there were elderly relatives being fed foreign food (pasta) little girls looking pretty, the Son sucking helium out of every balloon he could find then filling the balloons with water and chasing the little girls with them……..there was Cinderella moment when all of the women’s 4 inch killer heels turned into trainers, the kilt wearing BF being asked if he was a true Scotsman – he is, the BF telling the kids that his Sporran was made out of kittens – it isn’t….and so on.

All in all a fabulous weekend…..

2 comments:

Glencross said...

Wow - does that mean you're going to be on telly then ?

Me said...

God, I hope the dont put me on telly. I spent enough time when I was a 'meedya whore' being the only one not trying to get a presenting job. Fuck that for a laugh...


The skeletons would be falling out of the cupboard in Biblical proportions...