Sunday, November 20, 2005

It’s Art innit?

I’ve had a friend visiting this weekend up from Somerset…….yes the temptation is there to sing I’ve got a brand new combine harvester…………but we don’t…she’s originally from Yorkshire…..but interestingly she doesn’t own a flat cap…hmmm

I digress

Yesterday we decided to go up to South Bank arguably the best spot in London for a wee Saturday afternoon walk and ended up at the Tate Modern. Nice bit of art on a Saturday afternoon……bit of culcha and all that.

WTF people can literally get away with anything in the name of art….I love the explanations next to each piece…..

Artist: Boris Fuckyouover, Title: explorations of the mind…….er….hang on……..no it’s not it’s two plastic brains one of which has a hammer sticking out of it………..

Artist: Jemima Puddleduck, Title: embankment……..no it’s 4000 white plastic boxes piled up that look like a factory warehouse….twats………

As for Pablo Fucking Picasso……………no really………….Title: Woman with necklace crying……………..yes she’s crying because she’s seen the fucking painting you’ve done of her…..what you cant draw curves? Do you really have to do every painting with a ruler and set-square? Twat. I hate Picasso………….but it appears I am the only one, for sat on the floor in front of each one with HUGE sheets of paper and some crayola crayons was some unwashed, multi-coloured scarf wearing, knit your own sandals, arse lovingly copying his ‘master piece’.

I swear it was like the Emperors New Clothes with some of it…… men with corduroy jackets and stroking their little beards ‘hmming’ and talking to grey haired, flowing skirts women about the depth of the ‘installations’ Twats.

I quite enjoyed sitting out on the Balcony on the 2nd floor having a fag and looking out at night time London though…………...that’s art innit?

2 comments:

Glencross said...

I went to Tate Modern a few years ago - I tried really hard to find the contents more interesting than the building they were in, but had to admit defeat in the end. It's not like I think all art should be traditional paintings or life-like sculptures - I just think there should be some sort of quality control, and that seems to have gone out of the window at Tate Modern because everyone's too afraid that they 'don't get it'. I'm sure there would be an orgasmic wave of releif in the art world if someone of suffucient influence said "Hang on, this is all crap".

Had a fantastic lunch there though - the chocolate fudge brownie was amazing. Now if the person that made that got the Turner prize there'd be none of this annual 'Is it art ?' debate - one mouthfull of that baby would bring tears to the eyes of the most determined sceptics.

Me said...

I agree, I love the building, now that is art...it kinda rises up in front of you.... a lttle bit scary but nevertheless cool.

Yes I have to say most of it is crap.....although I bet if you were to stand there and say that out loud you would end up winning the bloody Turner prize for being inovative.....or something...

Didn't see the chocolate brownies I would have understood those.......