Monday, May 22, 2006

Sunday morning is the new Friday night


So what started out last August as a simple and curious ‘I wonder if I can run a 10k’ has, like most progressive illnesses gradually become a much larger part of my life.

I just wanted to see if, you know, I could do it. I had a take it or leave it attitude to it; it was just a bit of fun, it’s not like I was hurting anybody was I? So I finished my first 10k in the October of 2005, came home on a high, wore my medal for days on end, refused to reset my stopwatch as it had my first time on it, blogged every last detail, began every sentence with “when I ran a 10k….”

You get the idea right?

But there was more to come as I discovered the interweb had all these sites dedicated to running, pictures of runners running, forums where you could talk to other runners AND, more importantly, some of these sites listed times and locations of where you could meet up with other runners in person – ‘races’ if you will. No real names where used; people went by names such as ‘Marathon Man’ and ‘Blisters’.

All you needed was a credit card and details of the ‘race’ would be given to you along with a number. I thought I’d try a 5k, then another, then another, then another 10k. At this stage I was only on one a month. You see? Take it or leave it that was my attitude. Like I said, it’s progressive. Then one day on one of the forums, someone asked me if I wanted to meet up with some of them before the ‘race’. What harm could it do? We met up, we ran, we hung out afterwards.

There was a half marathon coming up, was I going to run it? One of them asked, whilst the others looked on expectantly. Am I ready for that? Yeah, why not. No harm in trying things once right? That was 6 weeks ago, I’ve done two since then plus another 10k yesterday.


Since August 2005, when I first came across the details for that first race, I’ve been fitted for proper running trainers, I’ve become the proud owner of a Garmin 301, I’ve learnt to pepper my conversation with things like PB’s, carb loading, half, full and ultra,

….I’ve discovered many uses for Vaseline, I’ve chaffed in bizarre places when I’ve forgotten to use said Vaseline, I picked up clothing from the bedroom floor sniffed it and thought “yeah that’ll do to run in”, gel to me is something with the consistency of snot that will help me run, not something for hair….


……..I chosen to sit in a bath filled only with cold water whilst nearly crying, I’ve seen hill’s and thought “I can take that” I’ve chosen to spend more Sunday morning’s than not over the last few months standing at the crack of dawn shivering with hundreds of other people waiting for someone to sound a fog-horn so I can run around a pre-determined route….that’s 5x5k’s 3x10k’s and two half marathons. For fun.


My name is Me and I’m a regular recreational runner……







No comments: